Columbus Divorce Attorney
How Long Does a Divorce Take in Ohio?
The length of each divorce in Ohio will differ because of the variables in each divorce. Some divorces are quick and uncomplicated, but others will take longer because there are complicated issues regarding property division, support, and/or custody to resolve.
However, once a couple files for divorce, there is a 30-day waiting period before the court will hear the case. The court must hear the case within 90 days of filing.
Although marriage starts with great optimism for the future, things don’t always turn out as planned. When divorce becomes inevitable, there are a few options for ending a marriage, such as divorce proceedings, mediation, and annulment. At Law Offices of William L. Geary, our Columbus divorce lawyers work to make the process less stressful and emotionally draining for our clients. We have decades of experience guiding clients through the divorce process.
Is Dissolution Cheaper Than Divorce?
A dissolution in Ohio is filed when a couple agrees on all the matters pertaining to their divorce, such as support and custody. If the couple cannot agree, then they must file for divorce and contest the issues in court. However, if they have already agreed on how to decide these issues, then they can file for a dissolution. Since this process is less complicated, it is typically a faster and less expensive option for couples in Ohio.
Avoid Letting Emotions Rule Decision Making
The divorce process is extremely emotional, especially in the beginning. Our clients often report feeling sadness, anger, regret, betrayal, and a host of other complicated emotions. While you are feeling emotional, you are making decisions that will impact the lives of you and your children for many years into the future. We provide caring legal representation to guide you through the process to avoid making decisions that do not serve your best interests.
Understanding the Different Types of Divorce
When going through a divorce, it's important to understand the different options available to you. At Law Offices of William L. Geary Co., L.P.A., our experienced Columbus divorce attorneys can guide you through the various types of divorce and help you choose the best approach for your unique situation.
Here are some common types of divorce:
- Contested Divorce: In a contested divorce, both parties cannot agree on key issues such as child custody, property division, or spousal support. This type of divorce often requires litigation and can be more time-consuming and costly.
- Uncontested Divorce: An uncontested divorce occurs when both parties are able to reach an agreement on all aspects of the divorce, including child custody, property division, and support. This type of divorce is typically faster and less expensive.
- Collaborative Divorce: In a collaborative divorce, both parties work together with their respective attorneys to reach a mutually beneficial agreement. This approach focuses on open communication and problem-solving rather than litigation.
- Mediated Divorce: In a mediated divorce, a neutral third party, known as a mediator, helps facilitate discussions between the divorcing couple to reach a settlement. This type of divorce allows for more control over the outcome and can be less adversarial.
Our skilled divorce attorneys can evaluate your specific circumstances and help you determine which type of divorce is most suitable for you. Contact us today to arrange a consultation and get the guidance you need during this challenging time.
Skilled Representation for All Aspects of Divorce
Divorce involves a variety of issues that must be resolved during the dissolution process. Some divorces are more complex than others, such as when there are children or businesses involved. Our Columbus divorce attorneys have extensive knowledge and decades of family law experience to provide reliable advice and guidance throughout the process.
We help clients with all aspects of divorce, including:
- Asset and property division
- Child custody
- Divorce mediation
- Issues surrounding a business or professional practice
We take the time to evaluate your situation, explain your options, answer your questions, and provide the information you need to make important decisions for you and your children. When necessary, we work with well-respected experts to assist in preparing a strong case for our clients.
Resolving family law disputes with care
Advocating for your legal rights
Protecting your family's best interests
Compassionate guidance through challenging times
Hear From Our Clients
I would highly recommend Mr. GearyTeresa D.
"I cannot say enough great things about Brittany and The Law Offices of William L. Geary."Cory B.
Excellent professionals!Carla Z.
Contact Us to Arrange a Consultation
Contact the Ohio Law Offices of William L. Geary today to discuss your family law concerns with an experienced and dependable divorce attorney. We are committed to getting to know you and involving you in the preparation and presentation of your case at every stage of the process.