Columbus Child Custody Lawyer
We Protect the Best Interests of Your Family
Children are the most valuable asset of any marriage. In any divorce or dissolution, their best interests should be paramount. Unfortunately, the welfare of children can sometimes take a back seat to heated disputes over the division of marital property and assets.
At the Law Offices of William L. Geary, we have been helping concerned parents put their children first for nearly 25 years. The custody lawyers in Columbus, Ohio at our firm work hard to protect our clients’ rights and goals while looking out for the best interests of their children.
We are adept at identifying multiple options for providing the best arrangement for each child in a complex or high-asset divorce. We integrate creative child support scenarios to find child custody solutions that work.
What You Should Know
Child custody and visitation rights are protected by law, regardless of complexity of the family law matter.
Child custody rights apply to the following situations:
- Second marriages
- Domestic partnerships
- Same-sex relationships after a divorce
- Threats of retaliation from former spouses
- Disputes over religion, politics, or employment
Courts tend to favor shared parenting arrangements as being in the best interests of children of divorce. Under the unusual circumstances where there is an allegation of child abuse, neglect, or domestic violence, the powerful advocacy of an experienced and effective custody lawyers in Columbus, Ohio is essential to ensure a proper and just outcome of the matter.
Can a Mom Get Full Custody in Ohio?
If a mother in Ohio gives birth and is not married, she automatically gets custody of the child. Nevertheless, if both parents are married at the time of the child's birth, both have equal legal rights to their child.
Here in Columbus and throughout Central Ohio, courts are working to establish parenting plans for visitation that spread quality time evenly between both parents, while reflecting the natural rhythms and existing schedules of the children’s lives. Attorney Geary brings more than 35 years of experience to these discussions and can help to provide creative insight based upon this experience to help find the best possible solution for parenting time with your child(ren).
How is Child Custody Determined in Columbus, Ohio?
In Ohio, according to O.R.C. 3109.04, child custody must be determined based on the best interests of the child. Factors that are used to determine this include:
- The wishes of the parents
- The wishes of the child
- The relationship between the child and parents and any siblings
- The child’s home, school, and community
- The mental health of the child and parents
- The physical health of the child and parents
- Which parent is more likely to cooperate with parenting time and visitation rights
- The ability of the parents to cooperate together
- Any criminal history
- Any history of substance abuse
- Any history of domestic violence or child abuse
If you have any further questions regarding how the court determines custody in Ohio, don’t hesitate to contact our family law firm.
Exploring the Benefits of Joint Custody
When it comes to child custody, one option that is often discussed is joint custody. Joint custody refers to when both parents share legal and physical custody of their children. While joint custody may not be the best option for every family, there are many benefits that come with this arrangement.
Some of the benefits of joint custody include:
- Stability for the child: Joint custody allows the child to have a stable relationship with both parents, which can be beneficial for their emotional wellbeing.
- Shared responsibilities: With joint custody, both parents share the responsibilities of raising their child. This can help to reduce the burden on one parent and create a more balanced parenting relationship.
- Flexibility: Joint custody can be tailored to fit the needs of each family. Parents can work together to create a schedule that works for everyone.
- Less conflict: Joint custody can help to reduce conflict between parents. When both parents are involved in decision-making, there is less room for disagreements.
At Law Offices of William L. Geary Co., L.P.A., we understand the importance of finding the right child custody arrangement for your family. Our Columbus child custody lawyer can help you explore your options and make informed decisions about your child's future. Contact us today to arrange a consultation.
Contact Us for Help with Child Custody & Visitation Issues
Schedule a detailed assessment of your current legal position and to discuss a strategy for securing the best interests of your children with an experienced Columbus child custody and visitation attorney.
Resolving family law disputes with care
Advocating for your legal rights
Protecting your family's best interests
Compassionate guidance through challenging times
Hear From Our Clients
I would highly recommend Mr. GearyTeresa D.
"I cannot say enough great things about Brittany and The Law Offices of William L. Geary."Cory B.
Excellent professionals!Carla Z.
Contact Us to Arrange a Consultation
Contact the Ohio Law Offices of William L. Geary today to discuss your family law concerns with an experienced and dependable divorce attorney. We are committed to getting to know you and involving you in the preparation and presentation of your case at every stage of the process.