My Spouse Doesn’t Want a Divorce

Blonde woman pointing her finger at a man with his hands in the air.

Divorce is already a complex process. It becomes even more complicated when your spouse chooses to ignore your wishes to separate. In these situations, the person who wants the divorce often is made out to be the bad guy. While this situation might seem unnavigable, there are ways to move forward with divorce if your partner is unwilling.

We here at Law Offices of William L. Geary see divorce as an opportunity to change your life for the better. If you are thinking about divorcing your spouse and they are against the idea, we have suggestions to assist in the process. Keep reading if you need help navigating a difficult divorce.

1. Practice Open Communication

When considering divorce as an option, there should always be an open and honest dialogue between both parties involved. You want to be direct and considerate of your spouse’s feelings, as this is a significant life change to process. However, your soon-to-be-ex might not want to be a part of a conversation.

2. Go to Counseling

If an open and honest conversation cannot happen, you might find success with a counselor. Not only will they assist in facilitating discussions, but therapists can also help increase your confidence. Divorce brings about complex feelings and emotions, which a counselor or therapist can help you navigate.

3. Allow Time for Processing

Your spouse just received huge, life-changing news. You might have built a large family together, with children and pets to think about during the split. If they do not accept the information right away, give them time to process you want a divorce.

4. Seek Legal Help

If your spouse continues to cause problems, you should consider the help of a professional family lawyer. Not only will they serve as a critical legal consultant, but they can also help you navigate any issues with your spouse. Furthermore, a lawyer will demonstrate to your spouse that you are serious about considering divorce and that a conversation needs to happen.

If you are having a difficult time with your divorce, contact Law Offices of William L. Geary today at (614) 289-1227 to speak with our expert divorce attorneys.

Related Posts
  • What Does a Stereo Speaker Have to Do With Abuse? Read More
  • Post-nuptial Agreements in Ohio Read More
  • Utilize Field Experts and Consider Your Divorce A Business Proposition Erin Bishop and William Geary Read More