We Can Help. Call Today!
Custody Battles Between Godparents & Grandparents

Custody Battles Between Godparents & Grandparents

People often think of custody battles as occurring only between parents who are divorcing, or maybe even between biological and adoptive parents. Usually people don’t think about Grandparents or Godparents being involved, but both of these situations are possible. In cases where parents have voluntarily relinquished custody, or custody has been stripped due to unfitness, or even if the parents are no longer living, it’s very common for Grandparents to be the legal guardians of children. But children may also have very strong ties to Godparents. What happens if someone needs to establish custody of children and the most appropriate people available for the job are either Grandparents or Godparents?

What are Grandparent Rights?

According to About Parenting, the court might give “reasonable companionship or visitation rights” to grandparents or to “any person related to the child by consanguinity or affinity” and should consider factors including but not limited to the following:

  1. The desires of the parents as made known to the court
  2. The child’s involvement with parents and others in the extended family
  3. The physical whereabouts of the grandparent’s home and how far it is from the child’s residence
  4. How much time the children and parents have available, including work schedules, school, holidays and vacations
  5. The age of the child(ren)
  6. How well the child is adjusting at home and school and in the community
  7. Any desires of the child, as made known in chambers
  8. The safety and health of the child
  9. And others

Grandparents and Custody

In general, the Court will not award child custody to a Grandparent unless it has been proven that both parents are deemed unfit or unable to safely care for the health and well being of the child. If the Grandparent is able to prove this, and that the best interests of the children are for them to be placed in the custody of the Grandparent. This kind of litigation can be emotionally and financially trying, but the good news is that the state of Ohio does have provisions allowing grandparents both custody and visitation of their grandchildren.

What about Godparents?

As difficult as it can be for Grandparents to be awarded custody, it can be even more challenging for Godparents to receive custody of minor children, especially if they are of no blood relation to the children. Contact a qualified grandparents rights attorney in your area like the Law Offices of William L. Geary today.

Can Grandparents be Godparents?

Yes, a grandparent can be the godparent of a child as long as they are at least 16 years of age, a confirmed Catholic who has received the Eucharist, not under any canonical penalty, and not the parent of the child. Canon law does not prohibit this.


Reviews From Our Clients

  • “I cannot say enough great things about Brittany and The Law Offices of William L. Geary.”

    - Cory B.
  • “Excellent professionals.”

    - Carla Z.
  • “I would recommend this attorney to anyone in my family or friends. He is the best. Before I worked with Mr. Geary with a very complicated and contested divorce case, I had also worked with other ...”

    - Wentong
  • “Bill was very attentive and listened carefully to my case. He "rolled up his sleeves", went to work and got the best possible solution to my problem. He was absolutely brilliant, and his fee was very ...”

    - Carl
  • “Mr. Geary is a very knowledgeable and trustworthy lawyer, which is not always synonymous with such a profession. I'm always impressed with his attentiveness and responsiveness, even after normal ...”

    - Gregory

Contact Our Firm

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Case Examples

  • Child Support Enforcement Agency’s Payment of Attorney Fees to Our Client
  • Custody to Father (Child Relocated from Japan)
  • Custody to Unrelated Couple
  • Divorce/Business Valuation
  • Retrieval of Children Who Had Been Taken from State and Hidden from Father