Covid Economic Changes and Support Obligations in Ohio

Pile of money.

Since the COVID-19 pandemic began in March 2020, thousands of Columbus, OH residents have experienced furloughs, layoffs and job losses. While the CARES Act provided temporary relief in the form of additional federal unemployment funds, those benefits have ended. If you're still dealing with a loss of employment income, paying your child or spousal support may be a challenge. If you rely on spousal or child support for part of your income, you may also find yourself in a precarious financial situation. Knowing the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic's economic changes and support obligations in Ohio helps you make an informed decision about what actions you can take.

COVID-19 Impacts on Payers of Support

People who must pay child or spousal support may find it difficult to meet their court-ordered obligation if their hours at work have been reduced or they lost their jobs. If you're unable to pay the amount of spousal or child support, speaking with a family law attorney is essential to protecting your rights. A family law attorney may be able to petition the court on your behalf for a temporary reduction in the amount you must pay. This agreement may last until your income returns to its previous level. If you reduce your payments or stop paying them without a court agreement, you may face serious legal consequences.

COVID-19 Impacts on Recipients of Child and Spousal Support

The COVID-19 pandemic boosted the rate of inflation, caused the prices of essentials to increase and stagnated wages. If you lost your job or had to take unpaid time off to care for your children when schools and daycares closed, you may not have enough money to pay your living expenses. A family law attorney may collect evidence of your proof of income and expenses and request a temporary increase in your child or spousal support payments.

What to Do If You Need a Spousal or Child Support Change

The economic effects of the COVID-19 pandemic have affected every Ohioan. Whether your unemployment application was denied or your hours were cut, your income may not be sufficient to meet your expenses and obligations. If you need a child or spousal support change, a family law attorney can help.

When you have a court order to pay child or spousal support, non-compliance puts your freedom at risk. If you're not receiving enough support, you need to speak with a family law attorney who can evaluate your case and provide you with representation in court. If you have questions about the impacts of COVID-19 on spousal and child support or need assistance with child support issues in Columbus, contact the Law Offices of William L. Geary today.