Temporary and Permanent Spousal Support Orders

How does spousal support work in Ohio, and how long will it take until you start to receive spousal support?  What is the difference between temporary and permanent spousal support orders and can they be changed?  In order to receive legal advice you would need to contact our firm for an appointment at 614-228-1968.  Generally speaking, spousal support is sometimes established with a temporary spousal support order, and ultimately replaced by permanent spousal support orders.

A request for temporary spousal support can accompany your original divorce petition.  The seasoned attorneys at The Law Offices of William L. Geary can help you carefully structure the documents and supporting information to protect your interests and to achieve your goals.

Once a complaint is filed, a hearing is set for somewhere between 30 and usually closer to 90 days later in regard to requests for temporary orders.  The opposing side has the opportunity to provide a written response or Answer to your complaint and your other divorce filings, including the request for temporary orders.  We work to negotiate many of these issues in advance of the hearing to help keep costs down and to facilitate an earlier start date for spousal support.

When negotiations aren’t fruitful, the Court will usually order  some temporary spousal support (if appropriate) after the initial temporary orders hearing and the submission of additional affidavits regarding the issue. This is why it is so important to have experienced and proven representation in your divorce.

If permanent spousal support can be agreed upon and negotiations are successful, a permanent spousal support judgment can be drafted, approved by the Court and implemented.  When the parties are in disagreement, the Court must hear the issues at trial and will apply several factors in the ultimate decision regarding spousal support.

Once the Court issues a permanent spousal support judgment it can only be changed through a post decree modification hearing (if the court has retained jurisdiction over the issue of spousal support).  We carefully craft post decree motions and supporting documents to clearly establish any change in “Status Quo” required before a modification can be granted.  Temporary and permanent spousal support orders are part of many Columbus and Central Ohio divorce and dissolution cases.  To learn if spousal support will be required in your case we invite you to contact us or call (614) 289-1227

Related Posts
  • Understanding Alimony: Factors, Types, and Recent Legal Changes Read More
  • Understanding How Alimony Works: A Comprehensive Guide for Spousal Support Recipients Read More
  • Understanding the Duration of Spousal Support in Ohio Read More